This lesson covers using the Copy Down feature in the Project Planner. For example, if you have multiple tasks in a row assigned to the same resource, you may use the Copy Down feature to assign multiple tasks at once to that resource. Or, if you have multiple tasks in a row that are/aren't Timesheet tasks, you may use the Copy Down feature to quickly check/uncheck many tasks in a row. This lesson shows the examples of Assigned To and Work, though this feature is available for many of the fields/columns in the Project Planner.
1. View the Project Plan
- View the opened project plan in the Project Planner.
2. Enter the Assigned To Value
- To assign the resource(s) to a task, click in the Assigned To Field for the desired task. You may select one or multiple resources.
- Check the box to the right of the resource(s) name to be assigned to the task.
- Click OK.
Note: It is never recommended to assign resources to summary tasks.
3. View Resource Names and Assignment
- View the resource name(s) in the Assigned To field.
4. Copy Down Values to Multiple Tasks
- With the cell selected, press and hold the Shift key. Next, drag down the selected cell (Assigned To field) to the other rows. Release the Shift key. If you have multiple tasks in a row assigned to the same resource, you may use the Copy Down feature to assign multiple tasks at once.
5. View the Values Copied into New Rows
- The row values will copy down into those new rows.
Note: The Copy Down feature can be used in the following columns: Task Name, Duration, Work, Assigned To, % Complete, and Timesheet.