This article reviews the following options available under the Help menu on the Publisher tab. These options include: Proxy Settings, Activate, Online Help Guide, Check for Updates, Enable PPM, and About.
The Help menu contains the following options:
- Proxy Servers – these are used in certain circumstances where a user may not have direct access to the EPM Live environment.
- Activate: if needed, this is where the Company and Serial Number associated with your Project Publisher order is entered. You likely should not need to activate your Project Publisher.
- Online Help Guide – This menu option has been disabled. Refer to additional articles in this User Guide for Project Publisher help & how-to.
- Check for Updates- this will scan the version of Project Publisher you are currently using and identify if a newer version is available.
- Enable PPM – this enables the portfolio cost & resource planning features (i.e. Cost Planner and Resource Planner). This feature MUST be enabled in order for your tasks to publish thoroughly into all EPM Live features, such as the Resource Analyzer as Scheduled Work.
- About - this button will launch the specifics of the version of Project Publisher currently installed on your computer. It is also from here where you can enable/disable the “Check for updates” feature. Enabling this feature will automatically alert you if a newer version of Project Publisher is available for download.
1. Proxy Settings
- Click Help.
- Click the Proxy Settings options.
Note: Proxy Servers are used in certain circumstances where a user may not have direct access to the SharePoint/EPM Live environment (the URL for the EPM Live environment for some customers are internal only, so no one outside their network can get to them). The Proxy Server settings allow access to the internal server for publishing the project plan to EPM Live.
1.1 View the Proxy Server Settings Box
- View the Proxy Server Settings box. A proxy server is a server that acts as an intermediary for requests from clients seeking resources from other servers. A proxy server can be set up to help facilitate accessing information- By configuring proxy settings – a customer could set it up for a remote contractor to authenticate against the proxy server, and then then resolve the internal URL accordingly
2.1 Enter Your Company and Serial Number
- Enter your company name and serial number.
- Click the Activate Now button.
2.2 Activation Confirmed
Once your activation is complete, or if activation is not needed, you will see the message that your product has already been activated.
- Click OK.
3. Check For Updates
3.1. Update Confirmation
4. Enable PPM
Enable PPM is applicable to EPM Live's resource planning and cost planning tools. This enables the portfolio cost & resource planning features (i.e. Cost Planner and Resource Planner). This feature MUST be enabled in order for your tasks to publish thoroughly into all EPM Live features, such as into the Resource Analyzer as Scheduled Work. In order for tasks to show as "scheduled work" in the Resource Analyzer, the Enable PPM feature must be selected prior to publishing your project plan.
4.1 View the Publisher Menu without PPM Enabled
4.2 View the Publisher Menu with PPM Enabled
When Enable PPM is selected, the Cost Planner and Resource Planner buttons show. Also, a checkmark shows next to Enable PPM in the Help menu.
Click the About option.
5.1 View the Current Version of Project Publisher
View the current version (build) of Project Publisher that you are running.
Enable/disable the “Check for updates” feature. Enabling this feature will automatically check for updates each time you open Microsoft Project. You will be alerted if a newer version of Project Publisher is available for download. Note: This may cause MS Project to take longer to load as it’s checking for new versions on our EPM Live systems. Instead, you may leave it disabled, since you have the Check for Updates option on the Publisher Help menu to manually check any time.