The Project Publisher Custom Fields list includes the Earned Value fields that represent the project's earned value for purposes of mapping and publishing such project fields to an EPM Live site. However, if a desired Earned Value field does not exist in the EPM Live site, the site collection administrator can create the field (currency & matching field name) in EPM Live so that the Project Manager can successfully publish the data to the EPM Live Project or Task Center list. This article covers how to apply Earned Value in Microsoft Project and publish the Earned Value fields (and data) to the Task Center in an EPM Live site.
Use Case: A Project Manager wants to apply earned value to a Microsoft Project plan and then pull in the earned value data to the Task Center in EPM Live. This article is using Earned Value fields BCWS, BCWP, and SV.
1. View Added Earned Value Fields
View the earned value fields that have previously been added by the site collection administrator.
The Earned Value table contains eight earned value fields to represent the project’s earned value. These include:
- BCWS: Budgeted cost of work scheduled or Planned Value (PV)
- BCWP: Budgeted cost of work produced or Earned Value
- SV: Schedule Variance
- ACWP: Actual Cost of Work Produced or Actual Cost
- CV: Cost Variance
- EAC: Estimate at Complete
- BAC: Budget at Complete
- VAC: Variance at Complete
For this example, the first three have been added in the EPM Live site.
2. Launch Your Project Plan
- Navigate to the Project Center in EPM Live and select the desired project item.
- Edit the plan.
2.1. Select Microsoft Project
Select the Microsoft Project option.
3. Create Schedule
- Add a Project Summary Task.
- Set project start date.
- Add detail tasks.
- Add durations.
- Link tasks.
4. Enter Resources Hourly Rates in the Resource Sheet View
- Display the Resource Sheet.
- Add your resources with their max units, standard cost rates, overtime rates, etc.
Note: The Resource Sheet View allows Project Managers to define the different type of resources available to a project. The resource costs need to be entered to calculate the Project’s Planned Value (PV) or budgeted cost of work scheduled (BCWS). In this example, Marianne was assigned a $100.00 amount and Betty was assigned a $50.00 amount.
5. Assign Resources
- Go to View tab and click the Gantt Chart.
- Assign resources to each of the detail (subtasks) of the project.
6. Set Project Baseline
- Set the project baseline under the Project tab.
- Click, Set Baseline.
- Keep the default settings.
7. Display Earned Value Table
- Select the View tab.
- Click Tables > More Tables.
- Select Earned Value.
7.1. View the Earned Value Fields
View the Earned Value fields.
8. Display the Gantt Chart
- From the View tab, select Tables.
- Select Entry to display the Gantt Chart.
8.1. Record Actual Work
Enter % Complete for tasks.
9. View Earned Value Table
Select the View tab > Click Tables > More Tables > Select Earned Value > Apply. View the Earned Value (BCWP), the Planned Value (BCWS), and the Schedule Variance (SV).
10. Display Custom Fields Box
- Click the Publisher tab.
- Click Project Options.
- Click the Custom Fields option.
10.1. Map Earned Value Fields
- Click the Task Tab.
- Select the field name on left and then click the Add button to move the custom field to the right.
- Save. This will map the field values to EPM Live.
Click Publish located under the Publisher tab.
Note: The custom field will be available for all new projects going forward.
12. View the Task Center
View the earned value fields published to the Task Center.
Note: If your values do not appear in the new columns, have the site collection administrator do the following:
- In the Report Settings page, edit the Task Center list. Check the boxes to the left of the newly added fields.
- Run the Refresh.
- Run the Cleanup for the Task Center list.