A baseline in a project is a minimum or starting point used for comparisons. Saving and setting a baseline can help determine how your project is doing compared to your original plan as it is a snapshot of your original schedule before your project gets starts. One baseline can be set in the Project Planner and this baseline can be cleared and a new baseline set if desired. This article covers setting and clearing a baseline in the Project Planner.
1. Launch the Online Planner
- Select the desired project item.
- Click Edit Plan.
2. Display the Gantt Chart
- Click the Views tab.
- Click Show Gantt.
2.1. View the Gantt Chart
- View the Gantt Chart and the red task bars.
Note: No baseline has been set.
3. Click Set Baseline
- Click the Project tab.
- Click Set Baseline.
3.1. View the Set Baseline
- View the set baseline in the Gantt Chart. The grey bars represent the baseline under the tasks will remain in place even if the project gets pushed out.
3.2. View a Baseline with a Change in the Schedule
- View the change in the duration field highlighted in blue.
- View the baseline in the Gantt Chart.
4. Clear the Baseline
- At times it may be necessary to clear an existing baseline. To clear a baseline, click the Project tab.
- Click the Clear Baseline option.
4.1. Click OK
- Click OK. If desired, a new baseline can now be set.