This article explains how to configure your EPM Live site for cost planning at the role (Cost Category Roles) level. This is an alternative to planning at the Cost Category level.
The configuration for which cost categories are available and editable is managed for each Cost Type. So, if you are going to configure cost planning at the Cost Category Role level, be sure to configure the applicable Cost Types (Budget, Actual Costs, etc.).
1. Comparison of Cost Planning at Cost Category vs. Cost Category Role Levels
This is an example of cost planning at the Cost Category level. Users would enter costs directly.
2. Comparison of Cost Planning at Cost Category vs. Cost Category Role Levels
This is an example of cost planning at the Cost Category Role level. Users wouldn't enter costs directly, but rather would enter the unit of measure (UOM), which is hours. Then, based on each role's rate, the cost would auto-calculate.
This article explains how to configure cost planning at the Cost Category Role level.
3. Navigate to Cost Types
- Select the Settings Gear icon on the Icon Bar.
- Under the Cost Management heading, select Cost Types.
4. Select the Desired Cost Type
- Select a Cost Type.
- Click Modify.
Note: The most common cost types would be those that are manually editable, such as Budget and Actual Costs.
5. Select the Desired Cost Category Roles
Select the Labor Cost Category Role parent item and all the applicable children Cost Category Roles.
6. Clear the Non-Labor Cost Categories
Clear the check boxes for the non-labor cost categories.