Important Note: At this time, to set up an integration between EPM Live and another system, the EPM Live Services team is required to assist. Customers are directed to contact their Customer Success Manager or Project Manager to ask about integration assistance and estimated effort.
This article explains how to set up and configurate the integration between EPM Live and TFS (Team Foundation Server). This integration would help to build a bridge between EPM Live and Team Foundation Server. Once integrated, users may utilize EPM Live's features to plan, track and manage work. The TFS Integration is used to integrate any EPM Live list (SharePoint list) to a TFS work item type (e.g. Bug, Issue, Task, etc.).
1. TFS Overview
The integration is compatible with:
- Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2015 on-premise version
- Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) cloud version
Brief TFS Object Overview
- At the topmost level, TFS has Team Project Collection (e.g DefaultCollection etc.)
- Each Team Project Collection can have multiple Projects (e.g. Sandbox etc.)
- Projects are based on Process Template (e.g. 'Agile','CMMI', 'Scrum' etc.)
- Each Project has Work Item Types (e.g. Bug, Feature, Issue, Task, Project, etc.). Considering the process templates used to create the Project, the work item types may vary with different Projects.
2. Prep Steps and Pre-Requisite Information
In order to configure the integration with another system, some information and steps are required. The administrator setting up the configuration must have the correct permissions on the corresponding other system as well.
On-Premise Customers Only:
EPM Live Server-side Prep
- The EPM Live Integrations dll files are installed as part of the EPM Live Installer, and the files install onto each Web App server that has EPM Live installed on it.
- The EPM Live API web service files are installed into the "EPM Live 2013 folder."
- For the TFS timed integration to work, the API web service should have "Notify" method.
- Install "Team Foundation Server 2013 Object Model Installer" from following location https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/3278bfa7-64a7-4a75-b0da-ec4ccb8d21b6. Do this on each Web App server that has EPM Live installed on it.
On-Premise & Online Customers:
- TFS URL
- TFS Authentication: The username & password entered should be a member of the Default Collection's "Project Collection Administrator" group.
3. Site Collection Configuration
3.1. Navigate to the List Settings
Navigate to the List App.
- On the View Toolbar, select the Settings Gear.
3.2. Open Integration (EPM Live)
Under the General Settings heading, select Integration (EPM Live).
3.3. Add New Integration
Click the link for Add New Integration.
3.4. Select Configure
Click Configure for the TFS integration type.
3.5. Enter Credentials
- Enter the TFS Server URL, Username, and Password for TFS.
- Select the checkbox for Basic Authentication. Check this box if the TFS server supports only basic authentication. For “https” protocol, this check box should be kept cleared.
- Click Next to continue.
The TFS server URL & credentials will be verified. If the connection is made successfully, the next page will open to continue configuring the integration.
3.6. Standard Properties
The Integration Key, Integration ID and Integration URL are unique values that get generated automatically for this Integration.
Integration Key & Integration ID: This key uniquely identifies the integration based on which Install & Uninstall methods registers/unregisters the event in TFS server. This key is also very important as IntegrationCore works on this key while syncing items with TFS server.
3.7. Integration Paths
Select how and when data is to integrate between EPM Live and the other system.
- Live Outgoing - This will send data out to the integrated item on save of the EPM Live item instantly.
- Live Incoming - This will allow an external integrated item to send data into EPM Live instantly.
3.8. Timed Integration
- Timed Outgoing* - This will send data out from EPM Live to the integrated items on a timed basis.
- Timed Incoming* - This will bring data into EPM Live from the integrated items on a timed basis.
Note: If selecting the Timed option, you may only select one Timed option, not both.
If you select Timed Outgoing or Timed Incoming for the Integration Path, select the time frame for when the integration should run.
- Hourly: The Integration will run every hour.
- Daily: Set which days of the week and the time for the integration to run.
- Monthly: Select which day of the month for the integration to run.
Use these settings do decide whether the integration can delete items from your list or from the integration source (i.e. TFS).
Allow Deletion from List: If checked, the work item type will be deleted from TFS when the mapped list item is deleted from EPM Live List. If not checked, than work item type will NOT be deleted from TFS.
Allow Deletion from Integration Source: If checked, the list item will be deleted from EPM Live List when the mapped work item type is deleted from TFS. If not checked, the list item will NOT be deleted from the EPM Live List.
Use these settings to decide whether the integration can add items to your list or to the integration source (i.e. TFS).
3.11. Custom Properties
- Project Collection: This dropdown menu will list all the Team Project Collection available in TFS.
- Object: This dropdown menu will list all the Work Item Types available with all the Projects available in the Team Project Collection selected.
- Click the Next button to continue.
3.12. ID Fields
- ID Field: This field comes from the integration source and maps the integration item to a SharePoint Item. This is required for all integration modes.
- SharePoint Field (EPM Live Field): This column maps the SharePoint ID into the Integration Item. This is optional and required if you want the integration item to have information about SharePoint.
3.13. Item Matching
If applicable, use this feature to enable mapping items from an external source to an item in your list. Select the field from each environment you would like to compare when mapping data.
3.14. Author Mapping
For items that are created via the Integration into the EPM Live List App, select the TFS field that will populate the EPM Live item's Created By field. If no field is selected, the Created By in SharePoint/EPM Live will show as System Account.
3.15. Column/Field Mapping
Select the Integration Columns you would like to map to the EPM Live List App columns.
Note: You must map all the required columns for the selected TFS work item type. If any required column is not mapped, it can create problems during the integration. The log for this integration will display the column names which have caused any issue during integration.
If you would like the items to resynchronize by the integration, check this box.
Click Finish to complete the integration.
3.18. Added Integration Shown
When the Integration is added successfully, the integration will be listed on the List Settings Integration page.