This article shows you how to configure the Editable Fields section of the List Settings. Specify if and when a list’s fields/columns are displayed or editable to users. You may configure an item to show or hide certain list fields when it is new (or being created), when it is being viewed (displayed), and when it is being edited. When editing the item, the field may be shown or hidden, and if shown, may be editable or non-editable. The options in the scenarios below include Yes, No, or a “Where” clause. The “where” clause may be based on the user logged in, or based on any other field in the list.
Note: The Manage Editable Fields settings only apply if the Standard Forms and/or Fancy Forms are used on this List App. The Manage Editable Fields settings are NOT applicable on the List App if Designer Forms are in use.
Note: The Manage Editable Fields settings also apply to the list views. The reason the Manage Editable Fields setting applies to the views is so that the admin can control which fields are visible and editable in the views and forms. In the view, a general user (non-Admin) can manipulate the view by clicking on the view toolbar icons, including Select Columns. The list of available columns that a user can add to the view via the Select Columns icon is based on which columns show on the Display form from the Manage Editable Fields page. Within the view, there's also a double-click-to-edit feature. By double clicking on a row, the whole row goes to edit mode. However, which fields are editable are based off the setting in Manage Editable Fields. So all logic for visibility and editability in both forms and views are tied to the Manage Editable Fields. The job of the admin is to understand this feature, and to configure the regular view settings in alignment with the Manage Editable Fields setting.
Note: The instructions in this article are applicable to Administrators in the Top Level Site as well as to Power Users who have Owner permissions on a workspace.
1. Navigate to the List Settings
Navigate to the List App.
- On the View Toolbar, select the Settings Gear.
2. Open Manage Editable Fields (EPM Live)
Under the General Settings heading, select Manage Editable Fields (EPM Live).
3. Configure Editable Fields Settings
For each field in the List App, select for the following:
- On new item, display field: Sets whether or not a field will show when creating an item (New Form). Display options: always, never or where certain criteria are met.
- On display item, display field: Sets whether or not a field will show when viewing an item (Display Form). Display options: always, never or where certain criteria are met.
- On edit item, display field: Sets whether or not a field will show up as display only when in edit mode (Edit Form). Display options: always, never or where certain criteria are met.
- On edit item, editable: Sets whether or not a field will show up as editable when in edit mode (Edit Form and when the List App view is in Quick Edit Mode). Edit options: always, never or where certain criteria are met.
Note: If a List App field is required, the selection for On new item, display field will default to Always, and cannot be changed.
4. Where Clause Options
5. Save and Close Manage Editable Fields Page
When finished, click OK.