This article shows how to modify the settings for the EPM Live Online Planner, such as Project Planner or Service Request Planner.
Note: The Online Planner may be configured for use with any list in EPM Live, as applicable. For example, your organization may plan out a department's roadmap, a service request's service tasks, an application's tasks, etc. The concepts for how to use and how to configure would be the same. The primary difference is a matter of which source list is selected for planning with that planner.
1. Navigate to Planners
- Select the Settings Gear icon on the Icon Bar.
- Under the Planner Settings heading, select Planners to open the page for managing all Planners.
2. Edit Planner
Select the drop down menu for the planner you would like to edit and select Edit Planner.
3. Enter Name, Description, and Icon
- Planner Name: Modify your Planner name.
- Planner Description: Enter a Planner description.
- Planner Icon: Enter the URL for the icon, if desired. The icon would first need to be uploaded into the Site Images Document Library. Then copy & paste the URL for that image into this field.
4. Select Planner Availability
Planner Availability: Select the Online Planner check box for how this planner will be used. This setting drives which feature launches when the users select this planner.
5. Disable Child Parent Capability
Note: The Child Parent Capability is a feature that is only applicable for legacy customers where there was an option for top level plans and workspace plans. This feature allows the user to edit a separate schedule/plan at the Top Level Site App than at a separate Sub-Site. EPM Live's standard and recommended configuration is that all data and plans reside at the Single (Top Level) site. Therefore, it is recommended to always leave this feature as Disabled.
Disable Child Parent Capability: Select whether to enable or disable the Child Parent capability. Checked = Disabled; Unchecked = Enabled. This setting applies to an EPM Live Site App environment that may have multiple Site App instances. It is recommended to leave this setting as Disabled. When the boxed is checked (setting disabled), the user will NOT be prompted for which plan to open. The system will automatically open the plan that resides on whichever site the user is currently located. When the box is unchecked (setting enabled), the user WILL be prompted for which plan to open, the Top Level plan or the Workspace plan.
6. Select Source & Task Lists
- Source List: Select a list from the drop down as the Source List. This is also referred to as the Parent List.
- Task List: Select a list as the Task List. This is also referred to as the Child List.
- Lookup Field: Select a field that will be used when looking up from the selected Task List to the selected Source List.
Note: Using the EPM Live Planners allows for planning to be done on more than just projects. For example, another applicable use of this setting would be to create a Program Planner, so that high level Program milestones could be planned. In that scenario, the Programs would be the Source List, a Program Tasks List would be the Task List, and there would be a lookup field from the Program Tasks List to the Programs List with a field called Program, or something similar.
7. Summary Row Field Calculations
The summary field calculation settings specify how fields are displayed in summary rows. This will identify custom fields which should roll-up to the summary task level within the Online Planner. Standard fields already programmed to roll-up include fields such as start date, end date, work, etc. Only additional custom fields would need to be configured.
From this section, you may add a new field calculation, edit an existing field calculation, or delete a field calculation.
Note: The Internal Field Names show.
- Average: Averages out the total sum of the subtasks.
- Sum: Adds all the values for the subtasks together and displays a total sum.
- Minimum: Displays the smallest number or date value from the subtasks.
- Maximum: Displays the largest number or date value from the subtasks.
- Folder Roll Down: This is applicable when planning with an Agile methodology. For example, in the Backlog Agile Planner, the Iteration Field would roll down the dates, so that any backlog tasks added as subtasks for an iteration, the iteration's date values would roll down to those backlog tasks.
- Disable On Summary Tasks: This is applicable when you don't want a field to be editable by the user at the summary task level. For example, you may not want the Assigned To field to be editable at the summary row level if resources should not be assigned to summary tasks.
7.1. Add Field
- Click Add Field:
- Field: Enter the Internal/Backend Field Name of the Field and select type of Calculation.
- Calculation: Select the Calculation Type.
When finished, click the Add Field button to save the new Field calculation.
8. Select Default Task Type
Default Task Type: Specify whether you would like tasks to default to be Shared or Individual tasks. The managers will be able to select which planning task type they want within each plan. This is merely the default setting when a new plan is launched and/or new tasks are added.
- Shared - This function splits work between the assigned resources. When publishing, only one item total is published per task.
- Individual - This function adds work from each assignment to the task level. When publishing, one item per resource assignment is published.
9. Enable Linking
This feature is to be unchecked, as this feature is not supported currently. When unchecked, the External Tasks button will be hidden from the Online Planer.
10. Calculate Work & Lunch Break Hours
- Calculate Work: When this box is checked, the Work column will be auto-calculated based on the Duration column for that task. The number of work hours per day are based on hours set the Regional Settings Page in conjunction with the Lunch Break setting.
- Lunch Break: Select the standard lunch break time. The time set in the Regional Settings will show here. For a standard day of 8:00 to 17:00 (8 AM - 5 PM), which is a nine hour day, enter a one hour lunch break to calculate the day to be a standard eight hour day.
11. Calculate Costs
Calculate Costs: When checked, this option will automatically calculate both the Cost and Actual Cost Fields based on the rate of individual resources assigned to the tasks. The resources' rate is set in the Resource Pool in the Standard Rate field. When unchecked, the Cost and Actual Cost Fields can be manually updated with values in the Planner.
12. Enforce Start as Soon as Possible
With this enabled, all tasks will start as soon as possible and will lock all tasks to the start date of the project or to their successors.
13. Select Statusing Method
Select which statusing method is to be used in the Planner.
- Manual - All updated information will get pulled into work planner and no additional calculations will happen.
- Actual/Remaining Work - Use this method to accept updates as actual and remaining work. This will also update the % complete based off the work specified.
- Remaining Work - Use this method to accept updates as remaining work only. This will also update the % complete based off work and remaining work.
- Status Field - Use this method to accept updates using the status choice field. This will set % complete to 0/50/100.
- Complete Field - Use this method to accept updates as a complete field check box. This will set % complete to 0/100.
- % Complete - Use this method to accept updates as a % complete field input.
14. Add Additional Fields for Statusing
Additional Fields: Select the fields you would like to include in statusing. The standard fields (below) will automatically show any updates for review. This setting allows you to select additional fields for the Project Manager to review and accept into the Online Planner.
- Task Name
- Assigned To
- Actual Start
- Actual Finish
- Actual Cost
- % Complete
15. Save and Close Planner Settings
When finished, click Save Settings.