This article explains how to create a new report in Analytics. This article covers the high level basics of a new report. Refer to the subsequent articles in this guide for more specific details on all the report creation features and options.
Navigate to the Analytics Reports Page
- On the navigation menu, select Reports to open the Business Intelligence Center.
- Click Analytics.
Select New Report
- Click the New menu drop down arrow.
- Select Report.
Report Designer Toolbar Tabs
Note: The Report Designer page is the same whether you are creating a new report from scratch or editing an existing report.
The Report Designer includes the following tabs. There is a corresponding chapter for each tab.
- Data Sources: On this tab, select your data source(s). The data sources are the reporting tables in the EPM Live Reporting Database.
- Fields: On this tab, select the fields that will show in the table of data in the report. Fields from all selected data source(s) are available.
- Summary: On this tab, configure a summary table for the report.
- Chart: On this tab, configure a graphical chart for the report.
- Chart2: On this tab, configure a second graphical chart for the report.
- Gauge: On this tab, configure a graphical gauge for the report.
- Map: On this tab, configure a map for the report.
- Misc: On this tab, enter the report header, footer. Also, set the report security. Also, set if the report should be auto-emailed on a schedule.
- Style: On this tab, configure the look & feel of the report. Also, arrange the order of the report parts (ex: table, chart, chart2, map, etc.)
- Filters: On this tab, add filters - both visible and non-visible
- Preview: On this tab, preview the report. The preview may be shown at any time during report design. Note: The filters do not show on the report preview.
Report Designer Toolbar Buttons
The Report Designer includes the following command buttons.
- Report List: Click this button to return to the Reports page. Caution: If you haven't yet saved your report, you will lose any changes.
- New: Click this button to create a new report. Caution: If you haven't yet saved your report, you will lose any changes.
- Save: Click this button to save the report.
- Save As: Click this button to save the report with a new name (and/or in a new category).
- Print to PDF: Click this button to print this report to PDF format.
- HTML: Click this button to save the report as an HTML file.
- SQL: Click this button to save the report as an SQL file.
- CSV: Click this button to save the report as an CSV file.
- Excel: Click this button to save the report as an Excel file.
- Word: Click this button to save the report as an Word document.
- XML: Click this button to save the report as an XML file.
- Email: Click this button to email a link to this report to an EPM Live user.
- Results: Select the number of results to show in the report. Choices include 1, 10, 100, 1000, all.
Select Data Source
Navigate to the Data Sources tab. Here you will select from which reporting database table you want to get data for the report.
- Select the Distinct check box
- If you've already been creating or editing reports, you may select from the Recent Data Sources menu.
- Otherwise, select the check box for the desired table(s).
- Some tables automatically have joins built, so in some cases, multiple tables can be selected. When a table is selected, any other tables that are available via an automatic join will show with black text and the selection check box still white.
- Any tables that are not available via an automatic join will show as grayed out.
Note: Refer to the article that explains which reporting database tables contain what type of data: click here.
Advanced Options for Data Sources
Click Advanced to manually join data sources (reporting tables) together. Refer to the article specific to joining reporting tables for more details.
Navigate to the Fields tab. Here you will choose which fields you want to display and be able to apply various formatting options. The Fields tab is where the actual report is built. This tab allows you to define which fields from your Data Source that will be included in your report and any grouping, sorting, and totaling that needs to be performed. There are a multitude of options that are available to users from this tab.
Listed below is a brief description of the properties available in the main Fields tab screen.
- Records: Sets the number of records to display, which is used many times to add a limit to the query resultField Selection: Select fields from the drop-down menu or use the Quick Add button
- Description: Displays a new title for the field
- Sort: Sorts A - Z
- VG: Visually Groups the field
- A (Arithmetic): Performs basic calculations (+, -, x, %) and concatenation of text. This setting applies a calculation between two fields within the report.
- Function: Displays functions available based on the type of data being accessed.
- Format: Displays the formats available to be displayed based on the data type.
- Other buttons: On the far right you can delete, insert, move, or set advanced properties.
- Add Subtotals: Adds a sub-total to the report under each numeric column.
- Add Side-total: Adds a side-total to the report beside each numeric row (this option is available if a pivot table is added to the report).
- Quick Add: Lets you quickly add multiple fields to the report at one time.
- Add Pivot: Displays the pivot table settings option to add a pivot table to the report.
- Design Form: Launches the advanced form editor window. This allows the report creator to input HTML5 to design the form. This is an advanced feature that most users will not use.
Click Quick Add to see all fields in the reporting table. Select the check boxes for the desired fields. When finished, click OK.
Fields Table in Report Preview
It's best practice to save your report early, and re-save often. This will help prevent any loss of progress.
- Click Save on the Report Designer Toolbar.
- Report Name: Enter the report name.
- Category: Select an existing report category or click (create new).
- When finished, click OK.
Navigate to the Summary tab. Here a table can be created that summarizes the chosen fields using different functions (Ex: Average, Count, Maximum, and so on). You can also make a group of fields by choosing the Group option from the Function drop down menu.
Most actions and properties available in the Summary Tab are available in the Fields Tab. The only difference is the removal of the Quick Add and Pivot capabilities, and addition of the Add Deltas checkbox.
Summary Part in Report Preview
Navigate to the Chart tab. Here you will add a graphical chart to the report. The chart types include Trend, Pie, Bar, and Funnel.
Chart in Report Preview
Navigate to the Misc tab. Here you add the report title, description, header, and footer. You will also set the report permissions and schedule the report to be sent via a schedule.
- Report Header Image Justification: Allows you to select the justification (left, middle, right) of the Report Header
- Title: Enter the report title. You may also select the justification for the title.
- Description: Enter the report description. You may also select the justification for the description.
- Report Header: Enter the report header.
- Page Header: Enter the page header.
- Footer: Enter the report footer. You may also select the justification for the footer.
Share With (Report Permissions): Select the access level for Report Writers, Report Viewers, and/or Everyone.
Drill Down Key - Refer to the article on drill down reports for more details.
Scheduler: This feature allows you to schedule the report be sent via email at the desired time interval (ex: weekly, daily, etc.) and to specified email addresses.
Share With - Report Permissions
Within each EPM Live Analytics report, in the report designer, the report creator may choose the level of access to others. These are the options.
Note: You may select two levels to share each report.
- Report Writers: Resources who have the Reports Writers permission selected in the Resource Pool
- Report Viewers: Resources who have the Reports Viewers permission selected in the Resource Pool
- Everyone: Both Report Writers and Report Viewers
- Full Access: The report is available for users to view, modify, and save changes
- Read Only: The report is available for users to view, add or remove filters, and modify the existing filters' values. Users may also modify(design) the report but cannot overwrite the existing report. They may, however, save it as a new report.
- Locked: The report is available to users to view, and users can modify existing filters' values, but users cannot add or remove filters or fields, and they cannot save changes to the report. Users may also not change the column or operator of the filters.
- View Only: The report is available to the user to view, but not to modify in any way or save changes
- None: The report is unavailable to (hidden from) the users.
- ...: No rights are applied to this report
Important notes about the report permissions:
- Access privileges will only apply to the user or group selected in the Share With drop down menu. All other users will have an access level of None.
- Anyone in the Administrators group in the Resource Pool is automatically also in the Report Writers group.
- The owner will not change when a user other than the owner saves the report. Choosing "Save As" will create a new report and its owner will be the user that saved the report.
- The "Rights" drop down menu is hard-coded, therefore these values cannot be configured.
Email Scheduler - NOTE: This feature currently is not functional
Schedule: Select the time and starting date for the email.
Repeat Type: Select the time interval for the report to be sent.
Send Email as: Select from the following options:
- Link: This option adds a link to the report in the email. For this option, the email recipients must be EPM Live users, since the link will direct them to the EPM Live site to see the report.
- Embedded: This option embeds the report into the body of the email.
- HTML2PDF: This option sends the email with a PDF attachment of the report.
- CSV: his option sends the email with a CSV document attachment of the report.
- HTML: his option sends the email with a HTML file attachment of the report.
- Excel (XLS): his option sends the email with a Excel document attachment of the report.
Recipients: Enter email addresses, separated by semicolons.
At any point in time during the report creation and editing process, you may view a preview of the report in progress.