In this article you will learn how to configure a Total Rollup Field in a List App.
1. Total Rollup Field Overview
A total rollup field is used to query associated Lists and count the number of items based on a certain criteria. For example, the Active Issues Total Rollup Field in the Project Center List App queries the Issues List App to count the number of issues that have any non-"Complete" status. Below are some example Total Rollup Fields:
- Active Tasks
- Active Issues
- Active Risks
- Overdue Tasks
- Overdue Issues
- Overdue Risks
2. Navigate to the List Settings
Navigate to the List App.
- On the View Toolbar, select the Settings Gear.
3. Create a New Column
Below all the List Columns/Fields, click the Create Column link.
3.1. Specify the Column Name and Type
- Name: Enter the Column Name. Note the recommendation for internal field names.
- Type: Select Total Rollup
3.2. Configure the Standard Additional Column Settings
- Description: If desired, enter a description for this new Column.
- Require that this column contains information: This is a Yes/No selection. When Yes is selected, users must enter data for this field when creating a new item in this List App. The field will show with a red asterisk if required.
- Enforce unique values: This is a Yes/No selection. When Yes is selected, users must enter unique values for this field for item in the List App.
3.3. Select the List App for the Total Rollup
Select the List from which the data resides for the Total Rollup Field.
3.4. Select Lookup Column
Select the Lookup Column. The Lookup Columns will change based on the selected List App in the previous step. In this example, I am creating a column for Active Issues - and putting the count of Active Issues as a Column/Field in the Project Center List App. So, the applicable lookup column is Project, as that is the Lookup Field associating Project Center with the Issues List App.
3.5. Select Aggregation Type
Select the Aggregation Type. The options include Count, Sum, and Average.
3.6. Select Output Type
Select the Output Type. The options include Number, Currency, and Percentage.
3.7. Specify Number of Decimals
If applicable, select the Number of Decimals.
3.8. Enter CAML Query
CAML Query is not necessary for a Total Rollup field. For example, by selecting the Issues List App and Project Lookup field, the field would show the number of issues per project. The CAML Query allows for further clarification, for example, to only count issues of a certain status, rather than all issues.
The CAML query in the screen shot along with the List Name & other settings provided will return a count of all Items from the Issues List App with any status other than Completed. See the CAML guide article for more information on how to write your own CAML queries.
3.9. Save and Close New Total Rollup Field/Column
When finished, click OK.
4. Update Field's Display Name
If needed, open up the field to modify it. Update the Column Name to your desired Display Name. When finished, click OK.
5. Note about the Timer Service and Total Rollup Fields
Note: One of the functions of the Timer Service is that it refreshes all the List App items and fields at the specified time. If the Total Rollup Fields appear to not have up-to-date status, it is recommended to make sure this List App is included in the Timer Service Settings, and then run the Timer Service. Then, all the Total Rollup Fields will be up-to-date when the Timer completes.