This article shows how to modify the settings for Microsoft Project as a planner.
The Project Publisher Settings match the available settings within the Publisher menu for Project Publisher in Microsoft Project. When settings are configured in EPM Live, they will carry through to each published Microsoft Project Schedule’s Publisher settings. If the Publisher Settings are unlocked, the settings may be changed in each Microsoft Project schedule.
For additional information about how to configure and use the Project Publisher for Microsoft Project with EPM Live, see the EPM Live User Guide.
1. Navigate to Planners
- Select the Settings Gear icon on the Icon Bar.
- Under the Planner Settings heading, select Planners to open the page for managing all Planners.
2. Edit Planner
Select the drop down menu for the Microsoft Project planner and select Edit Planner.
3. Enter Name, Description, and Icon
- Planner Name: Modify your Planner name.
- Planner Description: Enter a Planner description.
- Planner Icon: Enter the URL for the icon, if desired. The icon would first need to be uploaded into the Site Images Document Library. Then copy & paste the URL for that image into this field.
4. Select Planner Availability
Planner Availability: Select the Microsoft Project check box for how this planner will be used. When users select this planner, Microsoft Project launches on the desktop. You cannot select the Microsoft Project option in addition to any other option for the same planner.
5. Disable Child Parent Capability
Note: The Child Parent Capability is a feature that is only applicable for legacy customers where there was an option for top level plans and workspace plans. This feature allows the user to edit a separate schedule/plan at the Top Level Site App than at a separate Sub-Site. EPM Live's standard and recommended configuration is that all data and plans reside at the Single (Top Level) site. Therefore, it is recommended to always leave this feature as Disabled.
Disable Child Parent Capability: Select whether to enable or disable the Child Parent capability. Checked = Disabled; Unchecked = Enabled. This setting applies to an EPM Live Site App environment that may have multiple Site App instances. It is recommended to leave this setting as Disabled. When the boxed is checked (setting disabled), the user will NOT be prompted for which plan to open. The system will automatically open the plan that resides on whichever site the user is currently located. When the box is unchecked (setting enabled), the user WILL be prompted for which plan to open, the Top Level plan or the Workspace plan.
6. Select Source & Task Lists
- Source List: Select a list from the drop down as the Source List. This is also referred to as the Parent List.
- Task List: Select a list as the Task List. This is also referred to as the Child List.
- Lookup Field: Select a field that will be used when looking up from the selected Task List to the selected Source List.
Note: Using the EPM Live Planners allows for planning to be done on more than just projects. For example, another applicable use of this setting would be to create a Program Planner, so that high level Program milestones could be planned. In that scenario, the Programs would be the Source List, a Program Tasks List would be the Task List, and there would be a lookup field from the Program Tasks List to the Programs List with a field called Program, or something similar.
7. Lock Project Publisher
Lock: The Lock check box locks all project schedules in that it forces the Project Publisher to use the settings defined on this page. Locking and configuring the Project Publisher settings will force any publishing to this EPM Live site to inherit the settings from this page. This option may be necessary in order to strictly govern the process for publishing schedules from Microsoft Project to your site.
8. Select Publishing Type
Select Publishing Type
Use Case Example: Task is assigned to 2 resources. Total work: 16 hours. Task is assigned to Bob Smith & Betty Cooper.
- Assignment Based: This option publishes each Task Assignment for individual status. Each team member is responsible for their own status. In an assignment based project, Bob & Betty will status the completion on their own portion of that task. Each one is responsible for marking their own assignment part of the task as 100% complete in order to mark the entire task as 100% complete is MS Project.
- Task Based: This option publishes each Task to multiple resources on that task for status. The team is responsible for the status. In a task based project, Bob & Betty will status the completion on the task as a team. If either resource updates the task to 100% complete the task will show as 100% complete in Microsoft Project.
- Task Based without Assignments: This option is available with Project Server only. This option publishes each task to multiple resources in a custom Project Server defined field (not to the Assigned To or Resource Names fields). The team is responsible for the status. In a task based without assignment, Bob and Betty will status the completion on the task as a team. Either one of them updating the task to 100% complete marks the task as 100% complete in MS Project.
- Not Set: Each published schedule’s Project Manager may decide which publishing type for that project.
9. Select Publishing Options
- Publish Summary Tasks: Yes: Publishes summary tasks, No: Does not publish summary tasks.
- Publish Time-Phased Data: This time-phased setting is not applicable for EPM Live with Project Publisher. Please disregard this setting.
Note: If Not Set is selected for either setting, each Project Manager may decide the setting option for each project schedule.
10. Select Field Settings
Field Settings: Select the Publish Status Field and Resource Link Field. It is recommended to keep them as Not Set. Below are the default values. By keeping the fields as Not Set, the default values will be used.
- Publish Status Field: Text25. The Publish Status Field is used to store the date/time the task was last published in order to determine if a task has been updated.
- Resource Link Field: Number15. The Resource Link Field is used to store the link for the resource from the Resource Pool in EPM Live.
11. Synch Fields on Open
Synch Fields on Open
- Yes: Forces Publisher to synchronize choice fields on open of a project.
- No: Does not automatically synchronize choice fields.
12. Save & Close the Planner Settings
When finished, click Save Settings.
13. Project Options in Microsoft Project
The Project Options can be set from the Publisher Ribbon Tab (in Microsoft Project). If the Lock check box is checked on the Planner Settings page, the corresponding settings would be used in the project schedule.