The To Do column (a.k.a. Remaining Work) is used for work hours in the Work Planning View. In the Point Planning view the To Do column is not used, as a task is either marked as completed or not completed. If the task is not completed, then it is moved not the next iteration. Thus, points are not broken down in the To Do column. It is possible to work in both the Points Planning view and the Work Planning view, but it is not recommended (double effort). EPM Live provides the flexibility to allow one schedule facilitator to create an agile schedule using the Points Planning view and another schedule facilitator to create an agile schedule using the Work Planning view. Both still apply agile methodology; it is just how you prefer to measure effort. Software teams estimate their work as a part of planning. Teams track the original estimates, the amount of work completed, and the amount of work remaining. The estimates give the team a good starting point, the amount of completed work shows the progress and remaining work helps the team understand how far they are from completion. To add remaining hours, use the To Do column in the Work Planning view in the Project Agile Planner. This lesson covers using the To Do column to enter remaining work estimates.
1. Click the Work Planning View
- Click the Views tab.
- Click the Work Planning view option below the Current View drop down menu.
2. View the Work Capacity Column
- View the Work Capacity column. The velocity has been entered at the Iteration level. Velocity is the "size" (in either points or hours) the the agile project team can accomplish in an iteration. Here in the Work Planning view, work hours are being used. Once the Work Capacity is determined, the team determines how many Product Backlog items they can complete in that time.
3. Enter the Estimated Work in the Estimated Work Column
- Enter the estimated work hours for each backlog item in the Estimated Work column.
- Notice the Available Work column and the To Do column will update as each item is added. The To Do column will reflect the estimated hours until a manual change has been entered into the To Do column.
Once the design is understood, the team decomposes the Product Backlog items into Estimated Work (hours). The team starts with the first item on the Product Backlog (the highest priority item) and works together to break it down into individual tasks. The team adds Product Backlog items to each iteration. If the work has not been completed or more hours are needed, then the backlog item is moved into the next iteration.
4. View the Available Work Column
- View the Available Work column. Note there are zero work hours available for Iteration 1.
5. Enter Hours in the To Do Column
- Enter the extra needed time on the To Do Column (e.g. 5 more than the estimated amount) and tap your Enter key.
- Notice the total To Do column number is greater than the Estimated Work Column. This would indicate the schedule facilitator would need to move a task into the next iteration.
6. Drag a Backlog Item into the Next Iteration
- Click the box to the left of the item name and drag it down into Iteration 2. View the Estimated Work, Available Work, and To Do columns.
7. Click the Save Button
- When ready, click Save.
8. Click the Publish Button
- Click Publish.
Note: Upon publishing, the assigned resource(s) will receive an email that contains a link to the View Form of the item(s) assigned. It is here they can view detailed information pertaining to the assignment.
9. Click the Close Button
- Wait while the processing completes.
- Click Close.