The concepts to understand agile estimation include estimation of velocity (the amount of points this project team can deliver within an iteration), estimation of size (a high-level estimate for the work item measured using points) and estimation of effort (translates the size to be measured in hours). The estimation of effort indicates how long it will take the team member(s) to complete the assigned work item(s). The Work Capacity column is used to enter hours at the iteration level only. The Software Development App in EPM Live allows you to estimate and manage agile projects using either points or hours. Points are most commonly used, however, EPM Live supports both. It is possible to use hours to estimate work rather than points if you prefer.This article covers entering hours in the Work Capacity column within the Work Planning view.
1. Launch the Project Agile Planner
- Starting in the Projects List, check the box to the left of the project name.
- Click the Edit Plan button.
2. Click the Project Agile Planner Box
- Click the Project Agile Planner box.
3. Select the Work Planning View from the Current View Box
- Click the Views tab.
- Select the Work Planning view from the Current View menu box.
4. Enter the Desired Hours in the Work Capacity Column
- Enter the desired number of hours in the Work Capacity column.
Note: the Available Work column will update as estimated work hours are entered into the Estimated Work column. This will update as estimated points are assigned to backlog items. The To Do column will reflect the Estimated Work hours until they are marked complete or manually updated. It should be noted the To Do column will not reflect the estimated points once the To Do column has been manually adjusted.
5. View the Work Capacity and Available Work Columns
- View the Work Capacity and Available Work columns.